just tired. Try putting him down.”
There’s no need to worry about being able to carry a tune. If you’re a mother, your baby knows (and loves) your voice. And if you’re not, even just humming will help. The vibration of sound against their little bodies will soothe them.
Here are some of my go-tos with links:
- Rebel Rebel by David Bowie in the style of Seu Jorge
- Yellow by Coldplay
- Blue Ridge Mountains by Fleet Foxes
- Scarborough Fair by Simon & Garfunkel. When Pearl was speaking in 1-3 word sentences she would request this one by saying “Sage!”
- I’ll Be Seeing You by Billie Holiday
- If I Only Had a Heart/Brain/the Nerve. Pearl and I love this slightly different version.
- Vultures by John Mayer
- A Cowboy Needs a Horse. This one is a little hokey, but very fun and easy for kids to learn. Sometimes Pearl and I switch it up to Cowgirl when we feel like it.
Songs aren’t only good for nap time but as a pleasant distraction if you have to do something unpleasant, like change a diaper with a rash, take a temperature, or are just practicing patience. It just helps make some unpleasant things (like cleaning up or sitting on the potty) a little more bearable for them (and easier on you).
What are some of your favorite songs to sing a baby to sleep?